Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain

Monday, February 20, 2012

SENIOR PROFILE: Allie Meek




So this blog isn't all from my point-of-view, I've sent a questionnaire around to the Class of 2012. Each response will be posted, so you can see how different we all are, and what skills we have developed throughout our four years together. Some you may recognize from our shows, but there are so many others working backstage that you may not recognize by face but you've definitely benefited from their hard work. Here's our first Senior! She's not a major, but she's definitely a part of this department.. ALLIE MEEK!




NAME: Allie Meek
FROM: Providence, RI
MAJOR/CONCENTRATE: English; Theatre Minor, Acting concentrate
WHAT DOES THIS ENTAIL: Acting, understudying,  THE 100 TA, house managing, production assisting, assistant stage managing, Directing 2012 322 one-act!

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE URI THEATRE: Well, I didn’t. I started off my first semester freshmen year as a nursing student, which fell through due to the fact that I despise science. I changed to English because of my fear of becoming a theatre major. By the time I realized I really wanted to do theatre, it was a bit too late. Nevertheless, I chose to continue with URI Theatre because of the work I did on productions my freshmen year and the impact the students and faculty had on me.

WHAT HAS BEEN YOUR BIGGEST CHALLENGE IN THE PROGRAM: My biggest challenge has been proving myself and making a name for myself in the department as a theatre minor, not a major. Not many minors go beyond the 18 credits needed. It’s been hard going up for roles and participating in acting class as a minor because focus is, understandably, given to the majors. Luckily, I think I’ve persevered and have still been able to take part in productions both as an actor and behind the scenes. I really do consider myself an unofficial major because I have more credits in theatre than my actual major and it’s what I plan to get my graduate degree in and focus my career on. I think I’ve overcome this challenge because whenever I tell someone a minor the most frequent response is “You’re a minor? I thought you were a major”.
BIGGEST ACCOMPLISHMENT: Honestly, I think teaching THE 100 for the second time is one of my biggest accomplishments thus far. I started off my first semester freshmen year as a THE 100 student and I’m very proud to have come so far to be able to teach that same class.

FAVORITE CLASS AND WHY: THE 312 (Intermediate Acting) with Tony Estrella. Not only am I learning a tremendous amount about acting and Shakespeare, but it is such an inspiring class for an actor. The way it’s taught and the discussions we have really remind me why I love acting in the first place and why I want to continue doing it. The greatest lesson I’ve learned so far is that before all else, you need to have passion for acting and the theatre.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING THIS SEMESTER? ROLES/PRODUCTION ETC: Understudying Elmire in Tartuffe, directing a 322 one-act and teaching THE 100.
FAVORITE PRODUCTION YOU’VE BEEN INVOLVED IN AND WHY: My favorite production I’ve been involved in was Marat/Sade. Because I’m technically a minor, It was my first role in URI Theatre that wasn’t an understudy part. I loved the environment because of the amount of ensemble work that we all did as a team. So much research went into the show and it was amazing to be trusted to create and work with the character work, ensemble and director.

WHAT’S NEXT FOR YOU: I’ve applied to a few graduate acting programs but will most likely take a year off before going to get my MFA. I’m in the process of applying to internships at regional theatres across the US for theatre education. I’ve just applied to 11 internships so hopefully I will be doing that! If that falls through, I will be in RI most likely teaching theatre for All Children’s Theatre in my “year off”.
WHERE DO YOU SEE YOURSELF IN TEN YEARS: In ten years I hope to have gotten my MFA, acting all over the place and starting to teach at the university level.  Ideally I will be living in England for a few years within that ten year time frame. 


Thanks for your answers Allie! I may post again from Tartuffe rehearsal tonight. It's our first dress! (: I lost my voice though, ruh-roh. Vocal rest all day - I have to stay healthy for the next two weeks!

Salutations from the land of OJ and water,

Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment